Attention Deficit Hyper-activity Disorder, or ADHD, is present in about 5-7% of school-age children and about 2-5% of adults. This common mental disorder does not disappear in adolescence and here’s another myth: the fact that is doesn’t work in adults is not true. In the US, about 5 million adults are affected, in a ration boy-girl of 3:1. It seems both the genetics and the environment are factors at play.
We find mainly the inattentive type and the hyperactive/impulsive type. The first one has a very short attention span and needs to change activities frequently, there’s extreme distractibility. The second type has excessive movements, especially in the classroom where a level of calm is expected. We can also have a combination of both.
In this article, we’ll try to look at a group of children or parents that could qualify as: The Destructive Ones. In the last two months, we’ve explored The Over-Stimulation ones (the ones looking for excitement) and The Support-Needy Ones.
The Destructive Ones
- the child can’t explain and does not realize his symptoms
- mentally dull, ignorant, stupid, sulky, sullen, morose
- he can read but can’t retain, must reread to comprehend; slowness in comprehension, they forget what they were about to say
- urge for destruction is very characteristic: breaks things, with a malicious intent; loves to destroy toys, books, your furniture; cruelty with absence of remorse
- at slightest provocation, and even without, resorts to fighting, cursing, nasty behavior; everybody “is out there to hurt him;” he hates everything: his life, school, work, parents, the government
- lack of sense of duty and responsibility, cold blooded, perversion
- aversion to company, introvert; locks himself up in his room and plays on the computer; asocial, misanthropic
- depression, despair, sulking with suicidal tendencies: “giving up on life,” rather a lack of passion
- laughs inappropriately (in school, at a funeral, etc.)
- they like to hurt people (emotionally too) and animals: kick their dog for no reason; they like to hurt their younger sibling out of satisfaction it gives them
- disrespectful to any authority (teachers, parents, physicians, police, etc.); they dress to shock people, but not for the thrill, rather to hurt people, out of meanness, as a show of disrespect for the rest of the world
- they are fascinated with cemeteries, satanic cults, Dracula and have a morbid interest in skeletons or medical books looking up pictures of deformed people
- unsuccessful in arithmetical calculations
- great restlessness, driving him out of bed
- no mercy, sympathy or affection, despotic, domineering
- hereditary tendency to alcoholism; consumes alcohol not to belong or for the excitement, rather to numb the isolated, sad feelings he has; tendency to take street drugs and medical drugs; addictive personality
- fascination especially with knives, also guns
- tendency to depression; wants to be left alone; indifferent to pleasurable things, avoids people in general (not because he is timid, but because he does not like people in general)
- complete aversion to meat
- behavior worse from sunset to sunrise
- depression, suicide, mental disease, alcoholism in the family history
These particularities can also be found in other types of children but when there’s an important number of symptoms such as those described, we know which remedies to choose from.
Here are some homeopathic remedies which can be considered when we’re dealing with a child or an adult from the Destructive group:
Very easily offended takes everything in bad part. Want of moral feeling, contradictory impulses, laughs at serious things, remaining serious at laughable things. Obstinate, malicious and destructive, under control of two wills, indecisive, timid, shameless, want of self-control. Irresistible desire to curse and swear.
Irritable; child cry and screams, fly into passion, can hardly articulate. Aversion to company, to answer question. Destructiveness; tear things, clothing, violent. Startled easily, when touched.
Behavioral problem in children. Poor control over his impulses; talking, joking, throwing tantrums at the most inappropriate time. Biting everyone who disturbs him; desire to break things; abusive and insulting; foolish behavior like monkey. Shameless child – desire to uncover, remain naked in bed. Talk vivacious; restless and sleepless child; destructive and malicious.
Cross and restless; easily angered or insulted; always intent on revenge. Tear things to pieces; constantly busy but not in organized manner. Sudden impulse to run, to do violent, hurried impulse to kill. Loquacity; horrible things and sad stories affect him profoundly.
Weakness of memory, cannot concentrate, forgetful of names, later of words, cannot finish sentence; mistakes in writing. Aversion to responsibilities; postponing homework to next day. Irritable at trifles. Destructiveness, striking at animals, tears and throws things. Sensitive to reprimands, criticism, reproaches; rudeness.
Hurried tremulous and awkward; cunning; violent anger, talks excitedly; raves, scolds till mouth become dry, lips blue and eyes staring and she fall unconscious. Abusive, insulting; destructiveness; striking at imaginary objects, attention seeking attitude.
Abrupt; tremendously hurried, intense, excited and restless. Lack of control; cunning, manipulative and dishonest; selfish; mischievous. Destructiveness of clothe; breaks, tear and throws things. Disobedient and refuses to eat; quarrelsome; sensitive to music. Rolls on ground from side to side, or strikes vehemently; screaming
ADHD is part of ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorder. Other disorders in this group include autism and depression. Many document cases show the success of homeopathy in autism as well as in ADHD. The incidence of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) in children of the western world has now reached epidemic proportions. Whilst such numbers of ASD-affected children are new, the homoeopathic remedies used to treat them are often not.
Today, in 2019, 1 in 59 US children has an autism diagnosis (1 in 37 boys, 1 in 151 girls) while 1 in 6 has a developmental disorder – a significant percentage being neurodevelopmental in nature.
The situation is no better in Canada where the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry has simultaneously released 8 papers drawn from a 2014 health study that showed 1 in 5 Canadian children had a mental health disorder. These concerning trends are reflected in other countries, and, more concerning, the upward trajectory is expected to continue.
A research conducted simultaneously in Mumbai and Europe has revealed homeopathy works effectively in treating developmental disorders in pediatric cases. About 72% of the cases treated and observed over the past four to seven years showed remarkable improvement. The research chiefly looked at autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Aspergers syndrome, Down’s syndrome and cerebral palsy.
“What has been nothing short of a breakthrough is the fact that in 72% cases we were able to not just treat but fully cure the anomalies that occur at genetic levels,” said Dr Shreepad Khedekar, chief researcher and co-ordinator of the study.
The research looked at children with an average age of 3.3 to 15 years in India; the average age of European children was 4.2 to 15 years. In all these cases, the chief complaints were delayed development from the age of 1.5 years, premature birth, difficulty in talking, lack of communication skills, restlessness, meningitis, delayed and pervasive development disorder, screaming, head banging, inability to grasp compared with children of similar age, ADHD, cerebral palsy, and hyperactive and aggressive behaviour.
“The aim of the treatment through homeopathy was not to treat the isolated symptoms of the developmental disorder, but to treat the child as a whole and help in transforming the personality traits from the time of the treatment — not only the symptoms of autism, but also the general physical and mental constitution of the patient,” said Dr Khedekar.
Those who reportedly benefited from the homeopathy treatment were also supervised by a genetic counsellor to verify the efficacy of the treatment offered and the scale of improvement.
“A wide range of development disorders develop during the time of pregnancy. So the treatment that is offered must work on the repair of DNA. And that’s what we found in the cases which showed improvement,” said Dr Suruchi Jamkhedkar, genetics expert also involved in the study.
The main points in considering treating your child with homeopathy for ADHD is to be perseverant. Sometimes, a case can take many months before the right remedy is found. Here’s an example from my own practice: although the child was not part of the “Destructive” group that we saw in this article today, he was part of the “Support, Needy Group”. Sweet, affectionate and very loving with his family, this little boy was shy in school and could barely focus on the task at hand. Because of the cancer in his family and his love for chocolate on top of his personality traits, I recommended Carcinocin, and the child did make some nice progress. We kept moving the dilution more and more upwards until we realize we’ve reached a plateau. I then re-took the case, met the boy another time after a few months of not seeing him, and I chose to give him his constitutional remedy, Baryta Carb. After only one dose, he had a slight aggravation (very aggressive with his family) and then he became very calm, and could learn with ease with his father. The child was finally cured. It seems he had a layer that needed to be taken care of before. In this case there was only one layer but in other cases there can be more, depending on what happened to the child (vaccinations, trauma etc.)
The beauty of homeopathy lies in individualizing the case, so that no two cases are alike. We can somewhat predict the outcome but in general, we’re ready for a surprise. Many times I get the phrase “it’s a miracle!” and I say “no, it’s homeopathy!” – a real science with consistent results!
Classical Homeopath (H.D.) specialized in ASD: Autism, Depression and ADHD.
Visit my blog at: https://ymeir.blogspot.com/
You can reach me for a consultation on Zoom at email@example.com
Often ADD children, they all may be getting the same prescription medication, but they may have ten different beginnings or etiologies (causes). They may have been“never well since” such diverse
• a heartbreak (divorce of parents, death of a pet, moving from the childhood home)
• a fright (locked in a car trunk, or almost killed in a car accident)
• changing schools
• difficult delivery when being born, sometimes with a trauma to the head from the use of forceps
or suction, sometimes with temporary lack of oxygen
• the longterm effects of an operation, because of sensitivity to anesthesia
• severe diarrhea with dehydration
• recurrent antibiotic intake
• the death of a family member
Your pediatrician may not be able to make anything of this information, but a homeopathic physician will come up with ten different remedies for these ten different children. Doesn’t it make
more sense to treat the root of the problem, and not merely the little sick branches (the symptoms)?
One can classify these ADD/ADHD children into four major groups, which we will call the Support-Needy, the Stimulation/Excitement Seekers, the Destructive ones, and the Changeable/Restless.
As we will see, each of these groups has different symptoms and behavioral expressions, which will reflect the many different kinds of ADD/ADHD children we have. Don’t we have some that can’t
pay attention, but are the sweetest kids around? Others are restless and seem to forget the moment you teach them something. Then there are those who feel the need to be malicious and
hurt someone, while some ADHD children exhibit the constant need to kiss and touch everyone around. Are all these children alike? Obviously not, so the myth that a drug like Ritalin would cover
all of these children is just that, a myth.
Many of the ADHD children will fall under the Stimulation/Excitement group:
Over stimulation, the ones looking for Excitement
• suspicious and jealous; quarrelsome with tendency to harm others and cruelty to animals; sometimes exaggerated, pathological love for animals (it is the only being they bestow their
• lack of affection, anger from trifles
• can’t sit still doing his homework, restless legs while sitting, tapping with his pencil while sitting; sitting still in a classroom is like a bird being in a cage; they need to interrupt the
teacher, calling out answers when not asked
• rudeness and mischieviousness
• absent minded: loses thread of conversation, loss of short-term memory, inattention, easily distracted by slightest diversion, is in a constant brain fag
• best time to do their mental work is the evening (8 p.m. till 3 a.m.), unfortunately that’s when they come “alive” for other things too: they love the night life and go to the extreme of
switching the day life to the night life; of course then they are exhausted the next day in school
• tendency to conceal things, lies easily, boasts all the time; conceals “parts” of the real him: his performances at school, athletic performances, successes with the opposite sex, etc., he
exaggerates the extent of them
• loves and needs company: the more people, the better; has no problems to get acquainted with strangers, people are very charmed by the sycotic child who is full of tricks and inventiveness
• loves to hang out with a bunch of his friends, looking for mischievous things to do, looking for the next short-living thrill; they are dare-devils, taking risks just to look good with their friends;
they incite others to do the same daring deeds; they love films with high speed, stunts, guns; they rather live a short life full of excitement than a long “boring” life
• jealousy can be outspoken: towards friends, younger siblings, the success other children have at school, towards the “jocks” at school
• children with colic from birth on
• impatient, wants things now, can’t take no for an answer
• will do anything to get the attention of others: bright clothes, orange hair, tattoos, rings through the nose, flaunting their bodies with tight jeans, miniskirts, bare midriffs; they love to “shock”
people and their parents
• great physical stamina when excited by things he is doing: sports, dancing, playing music; otherwise complains about feeling too fatigued to do his homework upon returning from school;
but feels great again in the evening
• mental and physical restless sleep
• suspicious, mean, selfish
• suicidal tendency in the heat of the passion (“no one understands me,” two friends committing suicide together
To see if you or your child could benefit from homeopathy, contact the author Yael Meir at homeopathyforwomen@gmail,com (we do Zoom meetings).