As a health professional, we are often asked how to prevent colds and flu so frequent at this time of the year. And, once the disease is installed, how to minimize their unpleasant effects.
The first thing to do is to strengthen your immune system. How you will come to this depends entirely on you. There are great and effective ways without side effects to do so. Some will opt for homeopathy, others for naturopathy, some prefer to take some supplements, vitamins, others medicinal herbs. Some will adapt their food.
- From the nutritional point of view, we know that what enters the mouth provides fuel to the human body, which includes its immune system. Quality proteins, vitamins and minerals in sufficient quantity and quality are all essential. Consume an abundant variety of colored vegetables and fruits filled up with antioxidants; add flax, walnuts or fish to increase your omega-3 intake.
- Exercise to stimulate your immune response, but do not exhaust yourself: 30 minutes between 3 and 5 times a week is enough. Exercise too vigorously or too often reverses the positive effects and weakens the immune system.
- The arrival of the affections of the respiratory system coincides with a drier interior air, often due to heating. We simply remedy this by installing humidifiers, which are carefully maintained in order to preserve the quality of our air inside the house.
- A healthy intestinal flora also increases the immune system defenses. Probiotics are therefore regularly consumed, especially if antibiotics have recently been taken (they tend to destroy the intestinal flora). Good bacteria can be obtained in certain fermented food, including sauerkraut, kimchi and, of course, traditional yogurt (all unpasteurized, otherwise the bacteria they contain would be dead and therefore inactive).
- Sleeping sufficiently is another immune health pledge. A minimum of 7 hours per night is recommended. And this, every night!
- The usual hygiene measures alone will save many diseases. Wash your hands regularly with soapy water, avoid contact with sick people, cover your mouth when coughing, and your nose when sneezing.
- And of course, we take a few days off if we are sick: we will recover more quickly and we will avoid contaminating all our entourage.
Some supplements can help when faced with a cold or flu.
- Vitamin C
- Goldenseal of Canada
- Garlic (preferably raw)
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Licorice (to calm the airways)
- Elder black
There you go! Some good tips to apply for oneself, and to pass on during our consultations.