To get the iron you need, it is not enough to eat spinach – and iron from plants is (in general: see my article on spirulina!) less bio-available (absorbed) than that from animals. The modern diet gives us about 20mg per day of iron, and we leave 1mg per day down the drain when we answer nature’s call, which gives us … a pretty good average. So, in general, modern society doesn’t allow for iron deficiency.
So where does this well-known anemia that we hear so often come from?
Possible Causes of Anemia
- Blood loss. Did you know, for example, that the use of aspirin has as a side effect (published!) “Undetected gastrointestinal bleeding” … By the way if you do a quick search for aspirin on drugs. com, are listed under the possible effects: “bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood”.
women who have their period of course also lose blood every month (1.5 mg more than others per day, approximately).
The pregnant woman no longer has her period and therefore she does not lose her blood like the one who has her period, but her fetus has needs which suddenly increase hers: 360 mg in all + the 500 mg it takes for support the additional amount of blood in the body. This is why many pregnant women suffer from “pregnancy anemia” only (or almost) during this period.
Know that birth does not end the story: the little baby grows quickly and if we want him to grow well too, he needs iron! Indeed, his body is growing and therefore his blood quantity increases accordingly … Be careful not to give cow’s milk, which is bad for so many reasons, but in particular the iron it contains is very little absorbed. adolescents also grow up (sometimes too quickly?) and therefore have the same problems, but less intense, as small babies. In addition the young girls begin their rule …
- There are of course also diseases which are related to the shape of the cell which contains iron, and this deformation causes problems.
Also pay attention to particularly active athletes, it has been shown that their iron loss is higher (why? Science has not yet found).
Do you often donate blood? Remember to get your iron ..
Consequences of iron deficiency
Given the lack of hemoglobin and therefore the oxygen transport which is not done as it should, we observe:
- obvious fatigue
- dyspnea (= respiratory discomfort)
- and tachycardia (= the heart beats too fast)
A poorly understood symptom that is sometimes observed is pica, the bizarre and compulsive consumption of ice, dirt or other abnormal substances. My son when he was younger started biting (metal) chair bars! After his diagnosis I understood why …
Be careful though to monitor blood levels because a lack in babies can mean later down the road:
- poor cognitive, motor and emotional functions which may be linked to effects on brain development or neurotransmitter function. Hmmm.
In Prevention of Anemia
So for babies and children, it is strongly recommended that you NOT give cow’s MILK.
We can also give iron supplements to children who are breastfed (we hope all are breastfed, there is nothing better for them!) If the child begins to eat cereals, some are fortified hell. Subsequently, we will choose a menu (therefore from 2 years old) that includes a lot of elements rich in iron, or even vitamins (without sugar!) Fortified in iron.
Note: Ferrous sulfate, which is the usual oral replacement therapy, replenishes iron stores over several months.
To promote the absorption of iron in the body: our friend vitamin C. Avoid calcium at the same time as iron because it decreases its absorption!
Cure Anemia with Homeopathy
It would be lying to you to tell you that a magic remedy can cure our Anemia … there are several in homeopathy which have been proven, but you must always individualize the remedy. Take for example:
Ferrum Oxydatum Rubrum,
I would discuss a little more about Ferrum metallicum (Ferrum met) which has been taken by several unsuspecting homeopaths as THE remedy for anemia, when in fact, no … you always have to analyze the person and his symptoms as a whole. I send you a warning written by one of the greats of homeopathy (he died a while ago) EB Nash:
I must here state my experience founded on abundant practice and observation that such prescribing is not only un-Hahnemannian, but in every sense un-homeopathic, and I warn all beginners not to practice along that line.
Basically: do not think that in homeopathy a single remedy is suitable for a diagnosis or a symptom, or as usual, a mixture of remedies for the common cold, say. It’s not homeopathy!
Let’s see in more detail WHEN applies Ferrum met.:
- great pallor of all mucous membranes;
- sudden redness of the face.
- Face ashy, pale or greenish, with pain or other symptoms the face turns bright red;
- The slightest emotion or effort causes a red face.
- Always better when walking, despite the weakness forcing the patient to lie down.
- Menses too early, too profuse, too long, with a fiery red face, ringing in the ears, a pale, watery, debilitating discharge.
See how characteristic it is?
Let’s compare with another great anemia remedy: Nat-mur:
- we find the general pallor as in Ferr.met but also:
- emaciation (therefore the person is very thin) even if he eats well.
- Severe attacks of throbbing headaches;
- shortness of breath, especially when going up stairs, or other physical exertion;
- insufficient menstruation;
- more or less constipation;
- palpitations and even intermittent action of the heart;
- and generally great depression of the mind. In fact, the depression of the spirits is characteristic of this remedy; the patient cries a lot, like Pulsatilla, the difference being that the Pulsatilla patient is soothed and comforted by consolation, while the patient Natrum mur. is aggravated by it.
Do you see the individualization? They are two different worlds, so how could one remedy cure each other’s anemia!
Holistic Nutrition: Another Weapon Against Anemia
It is not only homeopathy that can cure anemia – or at least there are some temporary options out there, like we saw above the need sometimes to take iron supplements (it is still necessary to choose one that do not have side effects).
For example, consuming Alfalfa can help you fight hemoglobin deficiency – see Chinese medicine for this explanation:
The alfalfa acts on the element Earth with a potential Yang; this is why it will be used for example in cases of anemia which is a state of Rate Yin (Earth) in order to stimulate it. The purpose of consuming alfalfa is to correct anemia which is a deficiency in hemoglobin.
We also suggest in our course # 142 Nutrition Basics the following nutritional advice in case of anemia:
- Carrot juice, – for juices, use a juice extractor, not a blender.
- beet juice (twice a day for 2 months).
- Dr Kirschner’s green drink:
1 cup of unsweetened pineapple juice,
1 tablespoon of alfalfa sprouts (= alfalfa we just mentioned),
1 tbsp of fresh parsley,
1 tbsp of fresh spinach,
3 unpeeled brown almonds,
1/4 teaspoon of bone meal,
1/4 teaspoon of seaweed powder,
1 teaspoon of wheat germ; mix and drink immediately.
So you see, your enemy is not necessarily anemia per se, it could be your laziness to not take the proper course of action!
If you enjoyed this article, maybe you’ll also like: